Monday, January 01, 2001

PET BILL OF RIGHTS

1. All animals are born with an equal claim on life and the same rights to existence.
2. All animals are entitled to respect. Humanity as an animal species shall not arrogate to itself the right to exterminate or exploit other species. It is humanity's duty to use its knowledge for the welfare of animals. All animals have the right to the attention, care, and protection of humanity.

3. No animals shall be ill-treated or be subject to cruel acts.
4. All wild animals have the right to liberty in their naturalenvironment, whether land, air, or water, and should be allowed to procreate. Deprivation of freedom, even for educational purposes, is an infringement of this right.
5. Animals of species living traditionally in a human environment have the right to live and grow at the rhythm and under the conditions of life and freedom peculiar to their species. Any interference by humanity with this rhythm or these conditions forpurposes of gain is an infringement of this right.
6. All companion animals have the right to complete their natural life span. Abandonment of an animal is a cruel and degrading act.
7. Animal experimentation involving physical or psychological suffering is incompatible with the rights of animals, whether it be for scientific, medical, commercial, or any other form of research. Replacement methods must be used and developed.
8. No animal shall be exploited for the amusement of humanity. Exhibitions and spectacles involving animals are incompatible with their dignity.
9. Any act involving the wanton killing of the animals isbiocide, that is, a crime against life.10. Any act involving the mass killing of wild animals isgenocide, that is, a crime against the species. Pollution or destruction of the natural environment leads to genocide.

We have the right to be full members of your family. We thrive on social interaction, praise and love.
We have the right to stimulation. We need new games, new toys, new experiences and new smells to be happy.
We have the right to regular exercise. Without it we could become sluggish, hyper or fat.
We have the right to have fun. We enjoy acting like clowns now and then; don't expect us to be predictable at all times.
We have the right to quality health care. Please stay good friends with our vet.
We have the right to a good diet. Like some people, we don't know what's good for us. We depend on you and Pets First.
We have the right not to be rejected because of your expectations that we be great show dogs or show cats, watchdogs, hunters or baby sitters.
We have the right to receive proper training. Otherwise our good relationship could be marred by confusion and strife and we could become dangerous to ourselves and others.
We have the right to guidance and correction based on understanding and compassion rather than abuse.
We have the right to live with dignity... and to die with dignity when the time comes.


1. The Right to be recognized as a unique and important species.
2. The Right to have their individual lives cherished and protected.
3. The Right to be free from cruelty and abuse.
4. The Right to receive aid and comfort, including food, water, shelter, and medical care.
5. The Right to a fair share of public resources for the care and treatment of companion animals.
6. The Right to be treated as equal members of the animal kingdom.
7. The Right to be represented accurately and humanely by those who speak on their behalf.

Don’t take me home unless you will care for me every day. I need food, water and a clean place to rest. Also love. Remember, I depend on you for everything.
I’m not a stuffed toy. I’m a live, sensitive and feeling creature. Like you. So treat me kindly. Respect my need to be left alone at times. When you’re angry, don’t take it out on me. But you can tell me all of your troubles.
Be patient with me when I don’t always obey or when I make a mess. I want to please you, but sometimes I don’t understand. I can learn – with a little help from my family.
In return, I'll give you something no one can buy, or make or win in a contest. I’ll give you all of my love. And whether you feel glad, or sad or mad; I'll be just the same -- loving you -- as long as I live.

No comments: